Guidelines for the 2022 Golden Nib Contest
The 2022 Golden Nib writing contest is officially open. The Golden Nib, started in 2005, is the Virginia Writers Club (VWC) annual writing competition in three categories: Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry, with cash prizes for first, second and third place finishers. The contest is run in two tiers: local Chapter (first tier) and State level (second tier). Each Chapter forwards its first-place winning entries for judging at the (second tier) State VWC level.
Contestants must be a current member of the state organization. Entrants who live within the jurisdiction of a VWC chapter should enter the first tier of the competition through that chapter. VWC members living in an area where no chapter exists can submit their entries to the chapter closest to them. Each chapter submits one representative in each category to the state finals, where first, second, and third place winners in each category are announced at the annual meeting held in November.
All 1st place chapter winning manuscripts submitted to the state finals will be published in the VWC Golden Nib and Teen Nib Journal, unless you request to not have your submission included. 2nd and 3rd place chapter winners may request their manuscripts be considered for the VWC journal through their cover sheet.
Entries will be accepted on any subject the author or poet chooses in the categories of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.
- Chapter representatives will provide each entrant with a fillable coversheet. The coversheet must be filled out in its entirety and submitted with each entry. The online chapter link provides space for the coversheet information; no separate coversheet need be submitted.
- Submissions can be in doc, docx or rtf format.
- All pages must show contest category, title, word (or line for Poetry) count and page number in the header.
- If the author ’s name or any identifying information appears on any page of the manuscript, the entry will be disqualified.
- Manuscripts must be in 12 point Times New Roman font. Page settings must be 8 ½ by 11-inch with one inch margins.
- Fiction and nonfiction manuscripts must be double-spaced, with a ragged right margin.- Poetry manuscripts must be single-spaced.
SUBMIT ENTRIES TO YOUR VWC CHAPTER BY ITS SPECIFIED DEADLINE
Each chapter has its own guidelines, deadline and membership requirements for entering the chapter-level contest. All chapters must adhere to the state contest rules. Some chapters require membership in their chapter, some don ’t.
STATE VWC AWARDS:There are nine VWC chapters and one unaffiliated chapter in the state. Only first-place winners from the chapters will be eligible for the state contest. That means only 30 entries will be forwarded for the State competition -- ten entries total per category (fiction, nonfiction, poetry) -- by the State Deadline of August 31. Winners of VWC Golden Nib Contest will be announced, and awards presented at the VWC Annual Meeting and Awards Ceremony in November. Awards for each category: First Place-$100; Second Place-$50; Third Place-$25.