Journal of the Virginia Writers Club 2023
As part of its mission to support the art, craft, and business of writing, as well as advocate the literary arts in the greater Virginia community, the Journal offers its members the opportunity of displaying their excellence in fiction, poetry, and nonfiction via an annual print and a flip book edition. The Journal’s process and content reflect the organization’s mutual respect for individuals and organizations, exhibiting inclusion without discrimination to age, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, or disability.
Please be aware that non-compliance with the technical and/or the category-specific guidelines may result in rejection.
General Submission guidelines:
Deadline for submissions: March 31, 2023.
Publication: Summer/Fall 2023.
Technical guidelines for submission.
Submissions will be accepted in the categories of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.
All entrants must be members in good standing of the Virginia Writers Club.
· Manuscripts must be the original, unpublished work of the author.
· Fiction and nonfiction submissions must be no longer than 3,500 words, including any notes, bibliographies, or other supporting text. For poetry, submit up to 5 poems, or a maximum of 5 pages. For fiction and nonfiction, two submissions may be made in each category.
· Fiction and nonfiction entries should conform to the Chicago Manual of Style format.
· Submissions must be in doc, docx, or rtf format.
· Manuscripts must be in 12-point Times New Roman font. Page settings must be 8 ½ by 11-inch with one-inch margins.
· Fiction and nonfiction manuscripts must be double-spaced, with a ragged right margin.
· Poetry manuscripts must be single-spaced, double space between stanzas.
· Submissions not in accord with technical guidelines will be returned to the author to be brought into conformation.
· No paper submissions will be accepted.
For poetry guidelines, click on: Poetry
For nonfiction guidelines, click on: Nonfiction
For fiction guidelines, click on: Fiction
Please submit entries as attachments as follows.
Poetry to: Sofia Starnes, email@example.com
Fiction to: James Reynolds, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nonfiction to: Paula Weiss, email@example.com
➡️The name of the work should be the title of the attachment.
If you are writing under a pen name, please state so in the body of the email and include your actual name there.
Include a 50-75 word biography with your submission(s).
Authors will be notified about the status of their submissions subsequent to the March 31 submission deadline.
Contact category editors for questions about your submissions.
If you have general questions about the journal, contact Warren Groeger, firstname.lastname@example.org