2018 Golden Nib Contest Guidelines
Congrats to all the 2018 Golden Nib Winners!
1. Chandlee Offerman, Salem, VA “Unwilling Immigrant” (not included)
2. J. Allen Hill, Locust Grove, VA “The Man With the Robot Leg”
3. Charles Tabb, Beaverdam, VA “As Luck Would Have It”
1. Judy Light Ayyildiz, Roanoke, VA “CEREDO, WV, 1949”
2. Daniel C. Swanson, Abingdon, VA “Cousins”
3. Jason E. Maddux, Arlington, VA “How the Wind in the Willows Taught Me About Mortality”
1. Dan Walker, Partlow, VA “Alzheimer’s: The Zen Defense” (not included)
2. Richard Raymond III, Roanoke, VA “A Ballade of Bitter Beer”
3. G. W. Wayne, Palmyra, VA “December in Belfast, Maine”
Read their winning entries (PDF)
About Golden Nib - 2018 Contest is Closed
The 2018 Golden Nib writing contest is officially open. The Golden Nib is the Virginia Writers Club (VWC) annual writing competition in three categories: fiction, non-fiction, and poetry with cash prizes for first, second and third place finishers. Contestants must be members in good-standing of a VWC chapter and a current member of the state organization. Each chapter submits one representative in each category to the state finals, where first, second and third place winners are announced at the annual meeting held in November.
ABOUT THE CONTEST:
In 2005, the Virginia Writers Club, Inc. created a two-tier writing contest. Entries would be submitted and judged at the VWC Chapter-level first, and then each Chapter would forward its first-place winning entries for judging at the (second tier) State VWC level. Entrants who live within the jurisdiction of a VWC Chapter must enter the first tier of the competition through that Chapter. VWC members living in an area where no Chapter exists must submit their entries to the Chapter closest to them.
Entries will be accepted on any subject the author or poet chooses in the categories of Fiction, Nonfiction and Poetry.
SUBMIT ENTRIES TO YOUR VWC CHAPTER BY ITS SPECIFIED DEADLINE
Each Chapter has its own guidelines, deadline and membership requirements for entering the Chapter-level contest. All Chapters must adhere to the state contest rules. Some Chapters require membership in their Chapter, some don’t.
STATE VWC AWARDS:
VWC CHAPTERS WINNING CHAPTER SUBMISSIONS
Winning Chapter entries must be submitted by August. 15, 2018 to:
12702 Valleywood Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192