One of the challenges to writing is having all the resources you need to write and get published. The list of resources below is not complete, but hopefully will help you get started.
Each of these resources are free, although they may have options for more bells and whistles for a fee.
General Writing: Research, Prep, Drafts
- Evernote– Save research, organize articles and plots, and start drafts, and more. Access your notes on computer, smartphone, laptop or tablet.
- GoogleDocs – Full suite of document tools including word processing, spreadsheets, slide presentation and more.
- Google Keep – More visually oriented than Evernote, Google Keep is another option for storing notes, text or voice, set up reminders, transcribe notes from pictures, integrate into Google Docs, and more. It has a Chrome extension and phone app, as well.
- OpenOffice – Full suite of document tools including word processing, spreadsheets, slide presentation and more.
- PrimoPDF – If you already have Word, you can save as PDF, but if you don’t, you can use this create PDF files.
- Scribus: I've never used this, but it's a free writing tool similar to Scrivner.
- WriteWayPro: Another writing software similar to Scrivener, except free.
- YWriter5 - I saw this recommended by another writer. It's a free tool similar to Scrivner.
- Speech Recognition (free with Windows) - Many people don't know that newer versions of Windows have speech recognition software. You can tell your computer to open up Word or email, and what to write. Visit Microsoft to learn how to set it up.
- Todoist - Task management to help you keep on top of your writing deadlines and goals
- Trello - Visual project management program. Especially if you plan to self-publish, Trello can help you set up a workflow from draft to revision, revision to editing, editing to formatting and so on. It's flexible so you can set up systems and workflows that help you.
Grammar and Style
Communication Tools (i.e. for interviews, contracts etc)
- FaxZERO – Fax up to three pages twice a day for free
- FreeConferenceCall.com – Free conference and video calls
- Skype – Free call, video chat, and instant message for Skye to Skype users. Skype to landlines for small fee.
- WebEx – Free video conferencing
- Zoom – Video and web conferencing service
Free Online Tools
Social Media Tools
- Buffer – Social media management tool. Manage up to 3 accounts and up to 10 scheduled posts on the free version.
- Facebook – Free social media marketing platform
- Hootsuite – Manage up to 3 social media profiles for free
- Instagram – Free photo sharing media platform
- LinkedIn – Professional social networking website
- OneSignal – Send out push notifications on your website online or by app
- Pinterest – Visual pin board marketing platform
- Twitter – Free social media marketing platform
Free Email Tools
- HubSpot – Free email signature generator
- MailChimp – Free email marketing for up to 2,000 contacts
- MailerLite - Free email marketing for up to 1,000 subscribers
- SendInBlue – Free email marketing that offers unlimited contacts, up to 300 emails a day on the free version.
Free Images and Photo Editing
Do you have a free resource to recommend? Please share in the comments.